Looking for expert advice?
These informative articles are certain to answer your questions about owning your own water feature.
- Home and garden designs have changed. Aside from the traditional accessories and furniture pieces, there are now water feature designs that are redefining how we decorate, live and use water. These timeless water features have the capacity to transform any home interior or garden into elegant showcases providing entertainment and relaxation.
The benefits that waterfalls bring to our homes and us are innumerable. For instance, water brings healing qualities that promote wellness and rejuvenation to the body. The delightful ambience it provides is worthy of its place inside the home or outside in the garden.
Many homeowners are looking beyond the traditional accessories to decorate their living spaces. There are several styles to select from – simple to futuristic: tubes, globes, and abstract forms are freestanding decorative pieces that will enhance any interior or outdoor space. There are also wall and floor fountains. These designs are clean, understated and functional and the choice of many homeowners and designers. Amongst the favorite finishes are stainless steel and bronze.
Fountains made of copper, slate, wood and other natural materials are popular choices, too. Black slate, copper, glass, and mirrored waterfalls provide a more dramatic feel to any room while bamboo, ceramic or stone provides an exotic atmosphere or a touch of the Orient.
Installing a water feature in your home is easy. Some manufacturers offer free advice about design and installation. Books and magazines are useful during the selection process as well as photographs of places that have water features can certainly eliminate a lot of confusion on which style and what type of design to bring into your present living spaces.
As soon as you have installed the water feature, maintaining it can seem like a challenge but it really is very simple and is important if you want to get many years of enjoyment out of your fountain. Some handy tips to keep in mind:
- Make sure your fountain is properly installed.
- Clean your fountain periodically.
- Protect your fountain from the harmful effects of the changing seasons and weather.
- Use distilled water because it's free of chemicals found in common water supplies. Distilled water is affordable and available everywhere. Chlorinated water can encourage the growth of algae and contaminate the water with mineral deposits that can ruin pump operation and finishes. If distilled water is not available, treat water with de-chlorinators and chloramines removers before using it in your waterfall.
- Submerge the water pump in water at all times - not having adequate water supply can damage it.
- While it may seem challenging to choose from Bluworld HÔMelements complete range of indoor and outdoor water features, the choice can be made simpler by breaking it down into a series of individual decisions. Even if the fountain you want can't be found among their wall mounted waterfalls, decorative tabletop waterfalls, free standing floor fountains, and indoor and outdoor water features, Bluworld was one of the pioneers of early custom waterfall design and their staff can assist you with putting together your own custom water feature for whatever décor you are trying to fit.
One of the early decisions to be made about indoor waterfalls is the type of mount it will have. For freestanding water features, center mounts can be placed against a wall or further into a room where the water fountain can be viewed from the front or back, while a rear mount fountain is better placed against a wall, since it can only be viewed from the front. In general both types of freestanding waterfalls can be used indoors or out; although, they should not be used outdoors when temperatures are below freezing. BluWorld also offers wall mounted water fountains and tabletop fountains which are perfect for smaller spaces.
Once you know which mount your fountain will have, you will need to choose from a wide selection of finishes and colors. There are copper fountains, powder coated aluminum fountains, stainless steel waterfalls, mirrored waterfalls and fiberglass fountains that look like marble, slate and other natural stone. With all of these choices, it should be no problem to find the perfect color and finish to match the décor of your home or office.
Many of the freestanding interior water fountains available come in a variety of sizes ranging from four to ten feet. While the tabletop and wall mounted fountains may be slightly more limited in terms of the range of available sizes, there are still a few options available with each design. Whether you are choosing a water fountain for a tight office space or an expansive garden, you will find the perfect size and style to fit your needs.
When you have settled on the mount, color, finish and size of your fountain, you will probably find that you are down to one or possibly two fountains to choose from. When you get to this point, assuming you have more than one to choose from, your best bet is to look at the pictures of your final choices and visualize them in your space.
- The history of water fountains dates back thousands of years to Ancient Greek times, whether they were used to commemorate the gods and goddesses or to decorate and influence the people of the time, these fountains had spectacular impact on society. Many of the most famous fountains were constructed from the 1600’s to the 1700’s, an abundance of the fountains constructed in the 1800’s to 1900’s copied classical designs of earlier years. The newer fountains come in more complex, intricate, and unique designs in which viewers and customer’s imaginations can be fulfilled and created in reality.
Bluworld of Water® had its beginnings in 1997 when two brothers who grew up on the ocean and rivers around Titusville, Florida and discovered a love for water at early ages. These two men had great ambitions and strove for excellence in the unique art and creating spectacular designs using the tranquility and soothing aspects of the most abundant resource on the planet, water. Not only have large businesses taken the step toward implementing these amazing and unique designs into their places of business, but homeowners have also chosen to experience the peacefulness and welcoming of these features.
What more could you ask for tranquility, calming, and the most soothing experience in your place of business whether for employees, customers, or even your own home, these designs are sure to attract the eye of the viewer. Fountains have been around for many, many years and have yet to hurt even the most successful civilizations.
- Have you ever thought that your house was lacking something, or just didn’t have that feeling of home? Well, we at Bluworld can relate to that feeling. We can provide you with a great addition to your home, not only to create that “homey” feeling, but also to amaze guests that walk into your house. You can be assured that you will get great feedback and satisfaction if someone walks inside and sees a place on your wall or counter where was once that hideous painting was that nobody commented on, or the empty space on the counter that just wasn’t right, and you decide to replace it with a water fountain, you will feel much better and be able to call the place where you live, home. It’s always a great feeling to get a compliment from a neighbor or relative, they will more than likely come back even to feel the comfortableness and soothing feeling of listening or even just looking at such incredible artwork.
Do you have wood flooring in which can often separate or become loose? Our water fountains can help this predicament, when installing a water feature in your home, it helps by adding moisture into the air which in turn releases water particles that create a natural humidifier.
- Let’s begin by trying to define romance. It is how we humans attempt to express love with words or deeds. It also refers to feelings of excitement associated with love. Let’s paint an ideal scenario of a romantic afternoon. You take off work and bring your loved one to a place far away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. You open the trunk and take out a blanket, a picnic basket filled with your loved one’s favorite food and a bottle of the finest champagne. Sitting under the canopy of a blossoming tree you escape from all the stress of the day.
Sounds great, doesn’t it? But who has the time, energy or opportunity to create that perfect moment? Let’s try an entirely different scenario, one that you can create. You’ve put in a horrendous day at work, and you enter your home. You are greeted at the doorway by the sounds of a gentle waterfall. You look around; proud of the decisions you have made to de-clutter your environment. You light a few candles sending wafts of fragrance into air. A fireplace is waiting to be lit. You stand in front of the wall where you have installed a water fountain you purchased from Bluworld HŌMelements™ and smile. You go into the library and are met by the soothing sounds of water flowing down a beautiful panel in your floor standing water fountain. Searching the library shelves, you find that book you love with your favorite poetry and you carry it to the sofa. Picking up the phone you order dinner to be delivered, kick off your shoes, pour a glass of wine and wait for your loved one to come home.
That is romance, and you can be the artist that creates that scenario. Just let your imagination run wild, turn on your computer and take a journey through our wonderful collection of water features.
- Have you ever sat beside a small outdoor fountain, listening to the gentle sounds of bubbling water? The experience is transfixing and if you listen carefully and let your imagination soar you may see yourself sitting beside the ocean as the waves gently roll to the sand. As your energy softens and the day feels gentler, childlike memories may surface as your cares drift away. Pay careful attention. You just might hear the cry of seagulls fluttering their wings, circling the water as they search for food. Take a deep breath and you can smell the salt air and feel the sea spray as it caresses your skin.
Does this sound like a place you would like to be? You can create this in your life at home or at work by visiting us at http://shop.bluworldusa.com/. There you can select from a huge selection of fabulous water fountains that will fill your space with the relaxing melody of falling water. What better way to block out the ambient noises that assault us all day long. The sound of water can help the body and the mind relax. This is not conjecture, how sounds can heal and soothe. It is based on scientific research. Jonathan Goldman, founder and director of the Sound Healers Association in Boulder Colorado, and author of the book, Healing Sounds, says, “The use of sound and music is the most ancient healing modality. Many cultures recognize the importance of sound as a healing power. In the ancient civilizations of India, the Orient, Africa, Europe and among the Aboriginals and American Indians, the practice of using sound to heal and achieve balance from within has existed for thousands of years. The Tibetans still use bells, chimes, bowls, and chanting as the foundation of their spiritual practice.
“In Bali, the echoing gamelan, gong, and drum are used in ceremonies to uplift and send messages. The Australian Aboriginals and Native American shamanists use vocal toning and repetitive sound vibration with instruments created from nature in sacred ceremony to adjust any imbalance of the spirit, emotions or physical being.
“The Priests of ancient Egypt knew how to use vowel sounds to resonate their energy centers or chakras. There is a direct link between different parts of the body and specific sounds. Such a technique appears extremely old, yet healing through sound goes back even further-at least as far back as Atlantis where the power of sound was combined with the power of crystal. It was practiced in the ancient mystery schools of Egypt, Tibet, India, Athens and Rome for tens of thousands of years. Much of this information disappeared in the West, but it’s been re-emerging in the last two decades. “Collectively, our planetary ancestors have left many clues as to how the nature of sound and vibration is the fundamental force that creates, sustains , and destroys everything in the universe. The overwhelming conclusions of these ancient seekers of wisdom led to the proliferation of prayers, incantations, mantras, drumming, and singing and music found throughout humanity. Many specific sounds were found to accelerate healing and propel consciousness, while others fostered trance, relaxation, and tranquility.”
Let the sounds of water be your relaxation transformer.
- Imagine inviting guests to your home and then seeing the expressions on their faces when they enter and see a fabulous wall of cascading water. That is what can happen when you make the decision to invest in a wall of water sculpture from Bluworld HŌMelements™. Think of your wall of water as art, something that will bring you and everyone around you pleasure for many, many years.
The advantages of indoor water features are numerous, and include more than just being beautiful. It is a way to bring the outside in, inviting nature into your living space. Flowing water creates an environment that will sooth, relax and bring you tranquility. If you live in a city where the sounds of passing cars, horns beeping, dogs barking, and sirens roaring are a common occurrence, then you will surely benefit from one of our fountains. By installing a wall water feature in your home you will be able to block out the annoying noises that cause us stress even when we are no longer aware of the sounds that inundate our daily lives. If all of this is not enough reasons to install a water feature in your home, here is one more. Do you have wood floors in your house? They can be very difficult to maintain because wood naturally expands and contracts when exposed to temperature and humidity changes. The boards can separate, crack and loosen. There is a way to help eliminate that problem. When you install a water feature in your home the fountain will help by adding moisture into the air, releasing water particles that create a natural humidifier.
- Doesn't it seem that you can literally feel your blood pressure plummet during a day at the beach? It's not just the soothing sensation of sinking tired toes into warm sand: The sound of the surf may be part of what's calming you down. Researchers at the Huntsville (Alabama) Hospital tested the effect of ocean sounds on patients by playing these sounds for three consecutive nights. Another group of patients received the same care but no ocean sounds. The ocean group subsequently reported better quality of sleep, fewer awakenings, and deeper sleep overall.
The steady rhythm of breaking waves or the even roar of running water may be why it's so soothing. Our brains respond positively to repetitive sound, according to David Swanson, PsyD, a clinical psychologist in Los Angeles. For example, "if you're at the beach, the waves come in sets and have a consistent rhythm, so it's relaxing," Dr. Swanson adds. For instant indoor stress relief, try listening to a CD of natural water sounds or a tabletop fountain.
Originally published in Ladies' Home Journal, August 2008.
Tamura 1998; Carles et al.
1999 People showed a very positive attitude towards natural sounds. More than 75% of the interviewees reacted favorably to the sounds of water and birdsong, and only less than 10% of people thought those sounds were annoying. As a university student described: “Natural sounds tend to be more tranquil and feel less invasive.’ The most unpopular sounds in this study were mechanical sounds, such as construction sounds, music from passenger cars, and vehicle sounds.
In extensive research it has been found that it is more relaxing to hear natural sounds, when all day long we are being bombarded by artificial sounds. People “want to feel like they are in a natural space, to escape from the usual sounds that surround us daily.’
The sound of running water has a joyful effect on human psyche and it masks out external noise, along with the endless internal chatter inside our minds. Water is receiving, open, and accepting. The sound of water brings peace and tranquility to the mind.
- The atmosphere we breathe normally is full of positive and negative ions. Air conditioning, lack of ventilation, and long dry spells remove negative ions, which usually serve to latch onto airborne dirt particles and wrestle them to the floor, rendering the air purer. Roughly one-third of the population seems to be particularly sensitive to negative-ion depletion. The proportion of negative ions is highest around moving water: storms, oceans, rivers and waterfalls. It’s no wonder that we feel so energized at the beach. The best ratios of negative to positive ions are associated with waterfalls and the time before, during and after storms. The worst are found in a windowless room and closed moving vehicles. Air purifiers typically work by emitting negative ions, which purify the air in a room by attaching to impurities and sinking them. Water fountains act the same way but are more appealing to the eye and can add to the décor in your room. Having an indoor water fountain can be also beneficial to people with allergies or asthma. An extra bonus of having a water fountain in a room is that it will help control the humidity in a room.
High concentration of negative ions are essential for high energy and positive moods (Thayer, 1995)(1). In fact, Marian Diamond, a professor of neuroanatomy at the University of California, Berkeley, has found that levels of negative ions are inversely related to levels of serotonin in the brain.
Source: The Owners Manual for the Brain, Everyday Applications From Mind-Brain Research
In another study, male and female subjects participated in two studies designed to investigate the impact of negative air ions on cognitive performance. In the first experiment, they worked on three different tasks (proofreading, memory span, word finding) In the presence of low, moderate, or high concentration of such ions. Results indicated that among men, performance on two of these tasks (proofreading and memory span) was enhanced by moderate but not by high concentrations of ions. In the second experiment, undertaken to extend the generality for these initial results, male and female subjects performed two additional tasks (letter copying, decision making) in the presence of low, moderate, or high concentrations of ions. Output on the letter copying task increased significantly as ion levels rose among both sexes. With respect to decision making, the tendency of male participants to select initially preferred alternative was significantly enhanced by moderate concentrations of negative ions. Together, the findings of these studies suggest that negative air ions can indeed exert appreciative effects on cognitive performance.
Source: Journal of Applied Psychology, Feb 1987 Title: Effects of negative ions on cognitive performance. Author: Robert A. Baron
- Feng Shui (pronounced as fung shway) is an ancient practice based on art and science. Developed over 3,000 years ago in China, the practice of Feng Shui teaches us how to balance existing energies to encourage good health and abundance in life.
The word Feng means wind and shui means water. In Chinese culture, wind and water means good health and fortune, and bad feng shui means bad luck or misfortune.
Feng Shui is patterned after the Taoist vision and understanding of nature, particularly on the premise that the land is alive and packed with chi or energy. Ancient Chinese believed that the land's energy is directly responsible for the good and bad luck that come in people’s lives. The basic components of Feng Shui are the yin and yang consisting of five elements: wood, fire, metal, earth, and water.
In recent years, the practice of Feng Shui popularized indoor waterfalls. Interior and exterior water features move and stimulate the chi, attracting the cosmic life energy. Fountains and waterfalls circulate and refresh the chi at the same time providing a refreshing ambience. To achieve the correct chi, place directional water features so the water "points" toward the house or into the room.
Feng Shui fountains come in various shapes, sizes, and design. However, in Feng Shui, the shape or size of the fountain does not matter - the location of the fountain is more important. A home or room should have the Feng Shui map properly aligned over it in order to analyze where the specific energies are located. The map has regions dedicated to family, career, wealth and putting a water feature in the wrong location is detrimental in bringing the full benefits of Feng Shui. For example, there are areas of a room or house that are dominated by the energy connected to the element of fire and if you happen to mount a wall fountain within these areas, the necessary energy will be blocked by the water element.
On the other hand, water placed near the main entrance of the home, no matter the position or points of the compass, it tends to attract success and wealth.
Finally, whether you choose tabletop, wall mounted or floor fountains, you should also consider the symbols or images that appear in them. Seek out wall fountains that have images of bamboo or fish, or tabletop fountains with lotus blooms or stones to benefit the Feng Shui plan.
Overall, water fountains provide additional health benefits by releasing negative ions that helps air purification. They also increase humidity levels and decrease the level of dusts, pollutants, and static electricity.
- Steep in tradition, high on style, the very latest in water features designs are quickly finding its way into our homes and hearts. Why the sudden attraction to water features? Whatever your reason might be, for many, it is the total freedom to enjoy and relax at any time in the privacy of one’s home to the sound of trickling water. Elegant, soothing and tranquil… enough to alleviate the stress of the day. Water fountains are good for the soul, any time of day.
Architects, designers, and discriminating homeowners worldwide welcome the beautiful and relaxing qualities that water fountains bring. The love affair does not stop there. Throughout history, the calming and healing effects of water offered reprieve to men and women. Water features surrounded ancient Roman spas.
Many business establishments have enhanced the image and ambience of their office suites by adding an elegant and stylish water fountain. To draw more customers, many spas, restaurants and hotels are also making water features their top-design accessory.
Modern or classic water features come in a variety of designs - from the elaborate sculpted pieces to simple freestanding falls. These fountains are versatile – they can easily match with any décor in your home or office. If you are still undecided, consult with a designer or talk to friends about their impression.
There are several ways to decorate with water features. For instance, display large fountains on their own or you can add a few accessories around the waterfall e.g. a vase or sculpture. For smaller fountains, you can always add a little more knick-knacks but nothing that would eclipse the aesthetic qualities of the fountain.
In the home, a water feature added to your indoor area can help transform dull surroundings; enhance the well-being of the residents in the home. They also provide a wonderful setting for other forms of relaxation, such as meditation or yoga.
Whatever design you have in mind, waterfall fountains are stylish and functional units that can revitalize not only your home but also you – the homeowner. It is sure to bring character to your living space. Portable fountains can fit in any space such as an end table, desk, nightstand, or mantle. They also make perfect gifts for special occasions.
Here are a few things to remember before you buy a water feature:
- Space Check the size of the area where you want to install the waterfall. Make sure the size of the fountain will fit in the area. Include the length and width, and give room for people to move about. A fountain that is too big for a space can stand out like a sore thumb and a fountain that is too small for the area can lose its presence. The area that you want to install your fountain is one of the most important aspects of a successful design.
- Style Contemporary water features such as an indoor waterfall comes in a wide range of materials and designs – granite to stainless steel. Choose a style and finish that complements an existing area or décor. Fountains made of copper, slate, wood and other natural materials are among the most popular environmentally friendly choices. Black slate, stainless steel, glass, and mirrored wall-mounted waterfalls are particularly dramatic but can be difficult to maintain. Fountains made of bamboo, ceramic or stone can provide a feeling of lightness and provide an exotic overall feel.
- Safety Check traffic flow patterns around the fountain to avoid accidents. Electrical wirings must be properly installed and keep away from small children and animals.
- For the frugal consumer yet chic homemaker, affordable and stylish home or office indoor waterfalls is a dream that can be realized. Made from lightweight artificial materials, these inexpensive waterfalls are available in many styles starting with large decorative waterfalls to smaller decorative desktop fountains. Modern innovation and a freer market allowed manufacturers and designers to create expensive looking fountains at a fraction of their original prices.
Water features are great decorations that turn homes and offices into stunning dwellings. Aside from their obvious aesthetic qualities, they also provide other benefits: Water in the fountain produce particles called negative ions when they are moving or flowing. These particles act like air filters, attracting dust particles, and removing them - resulting in cleaner air.
Indoor waterfalls also provide wonderful settings for relaxation activities such as meditation and yoga. The hum of moving water serves as natural white noise that blocks out surrounding noise.
Water features can stand as an independent accessory or juxtaposed with other home decors. The wall-mounted styles are excellent example of this versatility. The larger models are excellent focal pieces while the smaller ones easily fit in places where space is a challenge and blend nicely with existing decors. Another model that shares this unique quality is the tabletop fountain. Tabletop designs are adornments that will look great atop any table or mantle. One feature that makes them extremely desirable is they are lightweight, making them easy to move.
There are all sorts of ways that you can enhance your home with indoor waterfalls. Since not all models come with built in lighting, one very popular idea is to adorn them with lights. Adding lights to the fountain only enhanced their appearance but also help creates calming, soothing, and romantic environment for the room.
Another accessory that you can embellish your fountain is to display an assortment of rocks, for larger models and stones for smaller units. Depending on what type of style you want to create, adding items associated with a particular theme can really raise the aesthetic quality of the fountain at the same time help you create the look that you want.
Flowers such as orchids and succulents added to the mix create an exotic feel. Designers and homeowners as well as manufacturers are beginning to incorporate music into the whole production of water fountains. Imagine the impact that it will bring not only to the entire place but also to how we feel when relaxing along with our favorite indoor waterfall.
Easy Methods to Maintain Your Indoor Waterfall:
- Maintain the water level at least ? above the water pump but ? below the hole where the wires run through.
- Clean the mirror or glass on your water feature once a week. Drain and clean the water feature once every three to four months if you are using distilled water. If you live in an area with hard water, we recommend that you drain the fountain every six to twelve weeks. After draining, wipe the inside of the reservoir and frame with a rag.
- Let your water feature run continuously for 24-hours every day. This will discourage algae growth in standing water and will minimize the wear and tear from turning it on and off. More importantly, this will also prevent mineral buildup on the surface of the fountain. As the surface dry, sediment can remain which can build up over time when water evaporates.
- The air in our homes can become very dry to breath. This is especially prevalent in arid climates and whenever heat is used. It can cause dry sinuses, bloody noses and cracked lips. We can suffer from dehydration and not even realize it. The signs are brittle and flaking skin, a raspy parched throat and dry sore eyes. Here is the good news. All you will need to help relieve this problem is an indoor water feature. At Bluworld™ you can discover how easy it is to keep the air around you moist. This is important not only at home but in your offices as well. The air you breath should always be fresh and refreshing! Having an indoor water feature will keep the air in the room humidified and bring you the fabulous benefits all year around. There are microscopic dust particles and germs in our air. By humidifying the air you will help rid your home and office of these harmful germs that may help prevent many common cold and viruses. An indoor water feature can help you be more energized and clear-minded. See our article on negative ions.
There is a good reason why indoor water features are appearing in furniture stores, huge office complexes, doctors and dentist offices and in homes. The sounds are soothing, the air is refreshed, and water features turn our surroundings from mundane to marvelous. At Bluworld™ you will have so many choices for fountains. We have wall-mounted fountains and tabletop fountains. We have large fountains that become architectural features and we have small fountains that will simply keep your home or office centered with flowing serenity. The fact that they become the perfect humidifier is an added incentive.
- To respond to the overwhelming demand for water features from homeowners and designers, manufacturers answered with enthusiasm by designing a line of unique water features guaranteed to please everyone. With thousands of selections to choose from, it is easy to become transfixed in making the perfect selection that will match or coordinate with existing home and office accessories. Keeping in mind some basic buying tips will help you minimize problems when choosing the right water fountain.
Water features come in several designs - wall, tabletop, garden, and floor fountains. Wall fountains are excellent decors on their own or placed alongside mirrors, photos, or paintings and tabletop fountains can transform bathrooms, foyers, dens, or family rooms into spaces that are relaxing and comfortable. Garden fountains have long been a favorite among the water features and solar fountains are steadily becoming popular because of its eco-friendly designs. Whatever your personal style, these water fountains are sure to bring joy and beauty for a long time.
A common challenge for designers and homeowners is they often end-up with a water feature that is too large or small for their homes or offices. To avoid this problem, always measure the exact height, width, and depth of the fountain as well as the area that you are going to place it. One efficient way is to map out the size of the fountain using post-it notes or removable tapes.
Making these simple systematic planning makes buying a water feature hassle free and will guarantee enjoyment of your fountain.
- Imagine entering an office building and hearing the sounds of hundreds of feet on the marble floors, the chatter of voices as people rush to push that elevator button that will take them to the offices where they work, or take them to an appointment. Now imagine that there is another sound you will hear, the gentle, soothing sounds of a waterfall, cascading in the background, taking you, if only for a moment in time, to a place of lush green mountainsides. That is what you can create by adding a wall fountain to your business environment. It will not only be beautiful, but it will send the message that You care about the people that enter your environment. The presence of water, bubbling and spilling, is a serene representation of nature. If you are in the design phase and working on your floor plans, then this is the perfect time to sit down with us. We will work with your architect or interior designer to select that perfect wall fountain for your building. We have 8 foot and 10 foot high water fountains surrounded by black Onyx, with clear glass, Copper Vein with bronze mirrors, or clear glass, and stainless with clear glass.
Now let’s turn our attention to your office space. You can create a similar environment in a smaller space. When a client walks into your office and is waiting in the reception area, the sounds of soothing water will send the message that you have taken time to consider the space in which you work. What could be more fabulous than walking into a doctor’s office, and while you are waiting to be called, you are being lulled by the tinkling sounds of a waterfall created by a wall-mounted or floor fountain? Our smaller fountains are pieces of art, and the various sizes will insure that whatever space you have, Bluworld will be able to fulfill your needs. For less than the cost of a new television you can bring serenity into your offices!
- People from the Western cultures have an admiration for Japan’s traditional gardens. Japanese gardens are famous for their peaceful surroundings along with their remarkable minimalistic designs. They are not only representations of the rich tradition and immense regard for nature; they also highlight the numerous outside influences present in the Japanese culture from religion to social.
Japan is notably the land of the rising sunshine and this abundance of sunlight is evident in the lush surroundings present in Japan’s gardens. To the Japanese people gardens are vital to their spiritual and physical nourishments. There are three categories in traditional Japanese gardens: Tsukiyama or hill gardens. Ponds, water features, hills, rocks, trees, flowers and footbridges are the typical adornments in a Tsukiyama garden. The inspiration for this type of garden is from the natural sceneries seen in Japan’s rich landscapes. The next garden type is the Karesansui, its surrounding is used mainly for meditation; the design uses gemstones, tiny rocks, sand, and moss to depict mountains and islands. Zen Buddhism is the major inspiration for this style. Chaniwa garden is where the traditional tea ceremony takes place. A simple teahouse is the identifying landmark for this style of Japanese garden. A common theme in all Japanese traditional gardens is the attention to detail.
The affinity for gardens amongst the Japanese people began to take shape around 592 AD – during the reign of Empress Suiko. However, many historians and scholars believe that this fondness for gardens started earlier than 592 AD.
The first important development in the history of Japanese gardens occurred during the Nara period (646-794 AD). Japan began trading with neighboring China and this economic partnership is largely responsible for many changes in how the Japanese designed their gardens. Traditional beliefs in addition to Japan’s cultural practices are important elements in the design of the gardens. Many express ancient philosophies and practices revered in the Japanese people culture. For example, rocks are representation of islands, hills, and mountains and stones depict strength and endurance along with other human emotions. Trees, shrubs, as well as foliage are miniature versions of forests. Japanese gardens are famous for their simplicity. Fountains represent purity and serenity. For the Japanese, bridges are symbolic of the many journeys a person takes in life. Pathways and stairways are also important structures. Bamboo trees serve as dividers separating the garden from its neighboring places and structures.
Several water features are available at bluworld® HŌMelements™ to help you create a Japanese inspired garden. The Bamboo Etched Gardenfall® floor fountain is a perfect example. It comes in three sizes, 4’, 6’ and 8.’ They serve as a wonderful focal point in any setting.
- Feng Shui was developed over 3,000 years ago in China as both an art and a science. Feng Shui teaches the art of bringing energies into balance for good fortune and health. In Chinese, the word Feng means wind and the word shui means water, the combination of which represents good fortune and good health in Chinese culture.
The Taoist vision and understanding of nature is the principle on which Feng Shui is based. This vision embraces the idea that land is alive and packed with energy (chi), which is directly responsible for the type of luck one experiences in life. Feng Shui is made up of the yin and yang consisting of five elements: earth, fire, wood, metal, earth, and water.
As Feng Shui has gained popularity in recent years, so have waterfalls. Water features are believed to stimulate and move the chi, drawing in more cosmic life energy. Water fountains are believed to refresh and recirculate the chi to create a refreshed feeling in a room or area. In Feng Shui, outdoor water fountains are particularly important because they can attract wealth and success--the flow of water is equated with the flow of money.
When placing an outdoor water fountain, you should set it to face north, east or southeast. Ideally, directional garden waterfalls should also be placed with the water pointing toward the house to create the proper balance. Yin and yang are terms that represent the connection between opposing forces in the natural world, with each pushing each other to rise in turn.
A garden represent protection for a home, and the inclusion of a garden water feature will not only help to make sure that all aspects of nature are represented in the garden, but it will also represent movement, harmony and balance, bringing energy into your life. The yin of an outdoor water fountain is important in a garden to balance the yang of the more stationary aspects of nature.
Even though there are numerous shapes and size of water fountain available, the shape and size are irrelevant in terms of Feng Shui. A Feng Shui map can show which regions of a home or yard should be dedicated to family, wealth and career, as well as which areas are connected to which elements, thus helping you to determine where to put the water feature for maximum benefit. In general, water placed near the entrance of a home attracts wealth and success.
Finally, always be mindful of the symbols or images that appear on outdoor water fountains. Taller freestanding fountains should have images of bamboo or fish, while tabletop fountains are more beneficial to the Feng Shui plan if they feature stones or lotus blooms.